Q: What does it mean if the Brake System indicator comes on in the dash?

asked by on December 15, 2015

What does it mean if the Brake System indicator comes on in the dash?

The Brake light on the dash of your car is designed to come on as a warning and as a reminder in different situations. Here’s what you need to know:

• The light will turn on if the parking brake is engaged.

• The light will come on if the brake fluid is low.

• The light will come on if there’s a problem with the car’s brake system.

Follow these steps:

1. Test the pedal. Does it feel normal? Is it soft? If it doesn’t feel normal, have your car inspected immediately.

2. If it does feel normal, pull over somewhere safe and pop the hood.

3. Check the level of brake fluid in the master cylinder. It should be between the minimum and maximum marks.

4. If the reservoir is low, top it off with DOT 3 brake fluid (only).