Q: Can I used an ignition coil with the primary resistance per spec but the secondary with lower resistance.

The specs calls for a coil with 1.1 to 1.3 ohms resistance in the primary and 14,5K to 19.5 K ohms in the secondary.The closed that i can find is 11.9 k ohms in the secondary with the primary ohms ok. The car also has a Ballast resistor with the correct ohms resistance 1.2 to 1.4 Ohms.

My car is a 1987 2.6L Montero, automatic 4x4

Hi there. To properly repair your vehicle you need to use the correct ignition coil. If you do not use the right coil then it either will not work or it can damage the circuit and the computer. The resistance change can cause an amperage change in the system which can cause some serious damage. You should only use the right parts for the job.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr