Q: What does "check fuel cap" mean?

I'm not sure what I should be checking for exactly when the "check fuel light" comes on. Just that the gas cap is tight? Is there a risk of fuel leaking or other issues? And if the light stays on after I tighten it, do I need to talk to a mechanic?

Hi there, thanks for writing in.

If the "check fuel cap light" is on, then either the fuel cap is not tight enough, or the sensor to tell you the cap might be loose is having a problem. The sensor is part of the evaporative emissions system, which is monitored by the engine control module. It only detects if the fuel cap is loose and should not pose any other problems other than the light is on. If that light is illuminated and your gas cap is tight, then there may be a problem with the sensor or with the evaporative emissions system. Try removing and reinstalling the fuel cap, and see if the light goes away. If the light does not go out after this, remove the cap and check for any dirt or debris on the cap or tank opening and reinstalling the cap again. If that doesn’t make the light go out then you should have the problem inspected by a professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic.