Q: What do you recommend for transmission fluid and engine oil for a 2010 Lincoln Town Car?

best recommended transmission fluid and engin oil

Hello. Ford or Motorcraft brand would be the OEM fluid brand that your vehicle came equipped with from the factory. However, any brand of oil and transmission fluid will work fine as long as it meets the API certification rating, and type required by the engine and transmission. Every vehicle has a minimum API certification requirement for the oil that used be used in the engine, which can usually be found on the owner’s manual or on the oil filler cap. The API certification rating can be found on the front and back of the oil bottle, and certifies the service standards of the oil.

Any oil that meets the minimum API rating, or even supersedes it, will work. For the transmission fluid, any fluid will work as long as it is of the correct type. Ford vehicles use "Mercon V" type transmission fluid, and can suffer issues or even damage to the transmission if the incorrect fluid is used.

Hi there. Specified engine oil is 5W20 weight. "Extended life" or high-mileage oils from Valvoline, Mobil 1, Castrol, Shell and other major brands are certainly appropriate quality choices given your mileage. Although synthetic oil is not required for this engine, the economics of synthetics have made them a no-brainer in my opinion.

The transmission fluid specification outlined by Ford is Mercon LV. Motorcraft Mercon LV is of course the Ford-supplied brand. Compare other brands with caution - since "compatible with" and "meets or exceeds the requirements of" are not the same thing. If you need help with a transmission fluid service, a professional from YourMechanic can perform this task at your home or office using the recommended fluid.

• What do you recommend for transmission fluid and engine oil for a 2010 Lincoln Town Car?