Q: What could cause my car to hesitate from moving after hard braking?

asked by on March 17, 2018

When I drive my car under normal driving conditions the problem never happens only after I hit the brakes hard. It's as if the car has been shifted into neutral but it's still in drive. The rpms jump up and I have to wait a few seconds before I can take off again and everything is normal again. I have changed the TPS and Idle Air control valve. I have been reading online forums and some think its the transmission losing a gear but I don't think this is the issue. What could cause this?

If engine speed increases (i.e., the hesitation you are experiencing doesn’t stem from an engine fault), the brakes might be sticking and/or the transmission (clutch, band, low hydraulic pressure, if you have an automatic transmission) is slipping. If you want the required diagnostic steps performed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request a diagnostic. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.