Q: What can cause a car to stop moving besides the transmission?

asked by on December 26, 2017

I'm going somewhere that takes 1 1/2 hours to get there. 3/4 of the way there, I'm driving down the freeway, the car started to sound like it was in neutral. So I tried to get over to the far right, to get off the freeway. Just made it right before the off ramp to the side of the freeway. It was after midnight, so there was nothing open. I had to get my car towed back to the house. I hope that there could be another reason for it not to move. I pray it's not the transmission. I tried all the different gears and none of them worked either. Can you please let me know what is going on with my car.

If the vehicle sounded like it was in neutral and not moving while in gear, this is quite likely related to a transmission issue, which may be any number of things. This may indicate a failing speed sensor. The transmission speed sensor is a magnetic sensor that provides information related to the speed of the input and output shafts in the transmission, allowing the transmission to shift smoothly. The sensor counts the internal number of revolutions of the transmission and transmits that information to the transmission control unit, where the data is used to determine the rotational speed. As the rotation increases, the control unit directs the changing of gears. When this is not working properly, this may cause the transmission to shift erratically or in some cases not at all. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to take the car for a test drive to more specifically determine the cause for this.