Q: Weird sounds when starting a car.

My car barely started this morning after I just put a new battery two days ago and it didn't have a problem starting. I didn't drive yest. It was a warm day. The night was in the single digits. When I tried to start a car (a button starter), all lights on the screen came up and were blinking since the engine couldn't start. I smelled burned gasoline with smoke outside of the car because my door was open. The loud knocking sounds were coming from the hood from the right side. I was afraid to try again. Waited for a minute, tried again, and again the same thing. Looked like the engine couldn't break free from beeping frozen. Finally it started, and all the pounding sounds disappeared. What do you think could cause it? I'll change the oil today for a 5W20, which I had before. The Auto Shop says it can't be the oil problem. I'll put the fuel additive to prevent it from frozen. What else can I do? And could something been damaged during this start up? Please, help. Elena

Hi there. The noise would be the engine trying to start as the cylinders are firing but not enough to make the engine run on its own. That is a normal sound in cold weather. Check the oil type in the owners manual. For cold climates, the engine should have 0W20 oil for easy starting. Also, check the strength of the coolant and make sure that it is good for the max protection. If the coolant is more than two years old, then I recommend replacing the coolant in the engine. For the engine turning over slowly, check the battery cables and make sure that they are tight. If you need further assistance with your engine turning over slowly, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

3. Weird sounds when starting a car.