Q: My engine backfires like a lean carburetor

My engine backfires like a lean carburetor and I have a gasoline smell too.

Hello. If your engine is backfiring and you smell gasoline then it is likely that your vehicle is running rich. Backfires can be caused by both rich and lean conditions, however a fuel smell is usually associated with a rich condition. Rich fuel mixtures can be caused by a wide variety of issues. A few things I would look at are the fuel pressure, the fuel pump, and the fuel pressure regulator. If any of these components, have an issue, they may be causing excessive fuel to be fed into the engine, resulting in a rich condition. Similar symptoms can also be caused by issues with the injectors, or with the engine management system. I would start with checking the fuel system and then go from there to diagnose the backfiring issue.

3. My engine backfires like a lean carburetor