Q: Water pump dislodged from engine affecting brake functionality.

A dealership told me that the water pump is loose from the engine and the coolant is spilling onto the braking system. The brakes had been making a grinding sound, so I took the car for a brake check and the mechanic said the brakes are in good working order. What would you do?

I would address the loose and leaking water pump and have the water pump replaced, if deemed necessary. The water pump is known for the bolts getting loose and the water pump falling out. If the coolant got all over the brakes on the passenger side, then I would clean them off with brake cleaner and inspect the brakes for any issues the coolant may have caused to the pads or rotor. The coolant may have warped the rotor or caused hot spots and the pads may have soaked the coolant up on the passenger’s side so it will not stop as good as the driver’s side, causing a pull to the drivers side. If there are any braking issues, then replace all the front brakes and rotors after the water pump is fixed.

3. Water pump dislodged from engine affecting brake functionality.