Q: No crank - 1995 Chrysler LHS

Car can be started with jumper wire from positive battery terminal to ignition terminal on solenoid. We have determined that no power is getting to starter solenoid. It won't crank in ANY gear. When it is demonstrably in Park, either all the gears light up on the dashboard gear indicator, or none do. We jacked it up, manually put it in park, put the gear shifter in park, lowered it, and then rocked it to make sure park sprag was engaged, still no crank. Previously, I was able to start it ONCE by turning the steering wheel slightly as I turned the key, and ONCE by putting it in neutral and rolling it back a whole car length, but I have no idea if those things actually caused it to start or if it was just a random thing.

What things should we test for from there, in what order, and how?

Hi there. Your vehicle’s no crank needs to be properly diagnosed. There are several possibilities for a no crank situation, such as a faulty ignition switch, a faulty starter relay, a faulty neutral safety switch, and faulty electrical connection(s) anywhere in the starting circuit. Circuit tests should be performed to pinpoint any problems. Replacing parts without diagnosis can be expensive and time consuming. I recommend having your vehicle’s no crank issue diagnosed and repaired by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic.