Q: Was running bad and now warning lights are on

The other day my 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe started to run really rough and I was pretty concerned. Sure enough, the check engine light popped on to tell me that, yes, there was a real problem here, at just 44,000 miles. I think it is just an electrical issue, because sometimes I can get the engine to run alright for a minute by starting the car up. How can I diagnose this problem? Can I do it myself?

This misfiring may occur when spark plug wires are exposed to oil and short out the ignition wire. This is caused a leaking valve cover and a broken seal around the spark plug holes. You will need to have your vehicle computer scanned for misfire codes P0300 through P0306. This will help the mechanic determine which cylinder is misfiring and allow them to check that cylinder by pulling out the plug wire and examining it for oil. If oil is found then it is recommended to replace the valve cover gaskets along with the spark plugs and spark plug wire boots. You can schedule an inspection of your engine problem to have these repairs performed.

3. Was running bad and now warning lights are on