Q: Warning lights and gear shift locked in Park

asked by on June 23, 2016

When I start my car, there is a “Malfunction” message on the dashboard: “R, N, D may not be possible, Activate emergency release for gear selector lever if necessary.” And then more information: “gear can be engaged without brake, continued driving possible.“ The shift is locked in P and I can’t even engage D gear or any other shift. I can’t drive anywhere to get help. Can you tell me how to “Activate emergency release for gear sector” so that I can drive it to the auto repair shop and won’t have to have it towed?

Warning Light is on Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello. The emergency release can be achieved from the transmission itself. This problem typically occurs when there is a failure in the shifter assembly or it can be a computer problem. I have ran across a few of these that need the computer reprogrammed to fix it. It can also be caused by a failing transmission. I usually scan the computer for codes first to see if the computer is seeing any faults. If you need to have this done, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the warning lights and let you know what fixes are needed.