Q: Warning lights and gear shift locked in Park

When I start my car, there is a “Malfunction” message on the dashboard: “R, N, D may not be possible, Activate emergency release for gear selector lever if necessary.” And then more information: “gear can be engaged without brake, continued driving possible.“ The shift is locked in P and I can’t even engage D gear or any other shift. I can’t drive anywhere to get help. Can you tell me how to “Activate emergency release for gear sector” so that I can drive it to the auto repair shop and won’t have to have it towed?

Hello. The emergency release can be achieved from the transmission itself. This problem typically occurs when there is a failure in the shifter assembly or it can be a computer problem. I have ran across a few of these that need the computer reprogrammed to fix it. It can also be caused by a failing transmission. I usually scan the computer for codes first to see if the computer is seeing any faults. If you need to have this done, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the warning lights and let you know what fixes are needed.