Q: Volume of oil for new AC compressor and dryer?

asked by on August 27, 2016

I am replacing the compressor and dryer on my ac system and am having trouble determining how much oil to use. Any ideas? Thanks! John

The new compressor may have a sticker on it or there may be information within box of the compressor indicating the correct oil type and amount to use. The drier should have one once it’s put in. Most new compressors will take about eight ounces. Make sure the correct oil is used and the amount is used. The new compressor may already have oil in it. You could also check for a sticker under the hood stating how much oil and refrigerant the system takes. Each major component other than the compressor counts for one ounce of oil each. The compressor will get the rest but do not put less than 6 oz in the new compressor. If you’re unable to figure it out, feel free to contact a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, to assist you with the proper replacement of you your A/C Compressor.