Q: Early 6.7Ls..Do they really have Turbo problems?

Really wanting a Ford Super Duty...but realistically, the '11s and 12's are the only ones in my price range. I've heard lots of rumors that these two years had a lot of Turbocharger problems, but I'm curious, is this a thing? I dont want to be out $4k after I just spent $40k on a truck.

This is a question that will vary widely depending on who you ask and is often times subject to bias. With that being said, however there are some commonly known problems (as with any new model car or truck) that the early model 6.7L Ford Diesels have experienced.

One of which you have already heard about is the turbo system. Many suspect that this is a result of Ford trying to produce more power out of a smaller turbo causing them to be overworked and creating a tendency for them to burn up.

Keep in mind this has a lot to do also with driver habits as well. If you are planning to use it to haul heavy loads and push it to it’s limits often, this may a concern for you. However, if you don’t need this kind of dramatic power and plan to use it for basic hauling and drive reasonably, this should not be an issue.

Related to this, there are also some common coolant leaks that these trucks can have as well as a result of turbo base coolant leaks.

Finally, one other issue that has been a frequent problem on these trucks is the EGT (Exhaust Gas Temp) sensor which has been known to fail causing Check Engine Lights to come on frequently. This is an issue that Ford has extended a warranty on due to it’s frequency.

Once you find the right truck for you. I would recommend having one of our mobile technicians perform a pre-purchase inspection on the car to assess its overall condition and give you some peace of mind with your investment. Best of luck.

3. Early 6.7Ls..Do they really have Turbo problems?