Q: Why does my Mini Cooper rev and shakes when I am stopped at a red light

Hello. When I'm driving and stop at a light for example and step on the brake, the car engine begins to rev, jump forward a little and shake. If put into neutral and step off brake it subsides but not completely. But driving at full speed the car seems fine for the most part. it's only when I brake that it does this reving, jumping and shaking. Also when car is in park the engine revs. Check engine light is on.

Hello. This can be caused by a number of things. Since the check engine light is on you more than likely have a misfire or a faulty sensor. I would usually start by scanning the computer for codes to see what comes up. That would give direction as to what the car needs. It may also simply need a throttle body service. If you are looking to have this repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to you to diagnose why it is running like that.

3. Why does my Mini Cooper rev and shakes when I am stopped at a red light