Q: Voltage gauge drop on an O3 Dodge Range

I have an O3 Dodge Range, 1500 with a 4.7 VA. Recently while I was driving down the highway, I had the voltage gauge drop but the truck didn't quit out. When I went over, there was smoke but it wasn't oil. It was water. Could be something wrong?

If it’s water, odds are you need a new water pump, because the same belt that drives the water pump, drives the alternator. If it started to go bad and cease, the alternator isn’t going to spin fast enough and the voltage gauge drops. You probably need a good water pump. I’m guessing it’s either that or the alternator is wearing out. If that starts to drag, then the water pump will slowly overheat so. Either way, it has something to do with the fan belt that drives them both. Something is dragging and causing problems. If you want to have this looked at by a professional, a technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose any electrical issues on the car.

3. Voltage gauge drop on an O3 Dodge Range