Q: Vehicle stalls, loss of power, rough idle.

Pete I have a 1995 Chevy pickup, automatic, with the 5.7. It has a rough idle when in gear but not moving it also stalls usually while making left turns, when it's getting ready to stall the tachometer will get really bouncy. What I mean by bouncy is that the tach will swing up to 5k and back down to 1k without the engine throttling up or down any. Sometimes in a small turn it will die not a big enough turn to stall the engine because of power steering pump issues it seems more like an electrical problem. I have gotten the trouble code 54 from the ecm. I have recently swapped the motor out, replaced distributor, dist cap, module, rotor, wires, plugs, fuel pump, rebuilt the throttle body, fuel filter, both temp. sensors, egr valve, mapp sensor, all with new parts. I Neglected to mention before I swapped engines I did a complete rebuild of the used engine. New pistons, rings, cam, lifters, timing chain and sprockets, oil pump, and all gaskets. I have more info that doesn't fit in the box

Hello, As you may know, code 54 relates to the fuel pump relay which means that there is likely a faulty connection or low voltage to the fuel pump relay. The ECM monitors the voltage to the fuel pump from the fuel pump relay. If the voltage is below specification code 54 will be triggered. I would suggest check power to the fuel pump relay to be sure there is proper voltage there.

3. Vehicle stalls, loss of power, rough idle.