Q: Turn off auto unlock on Chevy Uplander 08

asked by on June 12, 2017

I just bought a Chevy Uplander 2008, whenever you shift into park all the doors unlock. I consider this a danger, as I have small children, and don't want the doors to unlock unless I deliberately unlock them. I know that you can set the doors to child safety, but that's very inconvenient whenever you have an adult in the back. I checked the manual, and it appears that there is a way to change the programming, but (apparently), only if you have the "uplevel" programming, i.e., the more expensive package - which this doesn't have.

Is there a way to change this so that it doesn't unlock automatically whenever you shift into park?

Hi there. Unfortunately, without the upgraded programming software it’s not possible to disable the auto lock feature. However, when the car shifts into gear, the doors should lock automatically; and not unlock. This is the safety feature’s intent, so it is possible that you have a glitch in the system. In most cases, this is a programming function of the ECU that needs to be reset by a GMC dealership; but it may be a mechanical fault or electrical relay problem that could be repaired by a professional mobile mechanic. You might want to set up a door lock inspection so one of our mobile mechanics can come to your location to inspect your system and determine how to best resolve your issue.