Q: trunk light

asked by on December 03, 2016

does the trunk light go off by itself? How does it work. i'm scared it'll somehow stay on. that happened to my interior one once before. i took all interior ones out. now that i see the light in trunk i'm scared. i wanted to take trunk light out but it was attched differently so i didn't wanna mess anything up with it. will it go out by itself.

Trunk Light Bulb Replacement $89.03 - $121.19 Get a Quote

Hello. Thanks for writing in. Just like your door, there is a switch that is controlled by the manual opening and closing of the trunk. When the trunk is opened, the switch closed the connection which allows voltage to run to the bulb and illuminate it. When the trunk door is closed, the switch creates and open circuit which cuts the power supply to the bulb. If the trunk is left open, the bulb will stay on for a limited amount of time. It is programmed to turn off after a matter of minutes (usually 10-15 minutes) in order to save the battery from being drained. It is possible for these switches or systems to fail, but if you consider how much wear they endure compared to other parts on the vehicle, then the likelihood of them being a major issue is very small. If you want to disconnect the circuit, remove the light bulb.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr