Q: Truck shutting off after startup.

My truck has a cylinder 8 misfire code. Changing the spark plugs helped, but the code came back. The engine was running much better with the new plugs, so I changed the plug wires too. Once everything was changed out, the truck would not start. I had the starter checked and it was fine. Now, the truck starts up, but immediately hard clicks off. I think the distributor might have been moved and the timing is off.

A: Hello, when you replaced the plug wires, it...

Hello, when you replaced the plug wires, it sounds like you removed all of them and then installed new wires. When you installed the new wires, it sounds like you got them out of order. The first thing to do is get the correct firing order, which is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2. Then you must find the top dead center of cylinder one and note which terminal lines up on the distributor. Also, note the direction of the distributor and put the wire on the cap in the proper firing order. You may need the assistance of a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, to inspect the spark plug wires and assist in getting your plugs firing in the correct order.