Q: Axle seal leak

asked by on December 09, 2016

I got my oil changed 11/30 and the mechanic recommended fixing an axle seal leak on my right front tire & get a transmission flush. On 12/7 I got a flat tire (right front tire) & my battery died and AAA had to tow my car. The mechanic (different than first mechanic) who replaced my tire and battery made recommendations but did not mention an axle seal leak or anything about the transmission. I'm wondering if there was any correlation between my flat tire and the axle leak and what my next steps should be? Thanks!

Axle Shaft Seal Replacement $110.62 - $3656.80 Get a Quote

The axle seal leak is unrelated to the flat tire you had. The purpose of the axle seal is to keep transmission fluid from leaking. Depending on the size of the leak, it may be okay to drive with a leaking axle seal, but not for very long. The most common cause of a leaking axle seal is it improper axle installation or removal. In addition, the axle seal can wear out over time, which can cause it to leak. It is important not to push the leaking axle seal for very long as this can cause significant transmission fluid loss which will result in severe damage and ultimate failure to your transmission. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and repair your axle seal.