Q: Truck has a slight shake at idle in park or in drive at a stoplight

asked by on April 29, 2017

Truck has a slight shudder at idle

Hello, thank you for writing in. The vehicle is likely having an issue with one of its three main components: air, fuel, and spark. Most vibrations and shaking come from a misfire of some kind. You will want to check on several components. Make sure the spark plugs are in good condition and working well. You can carefully check for proper spark signals with a simple tester. Then focus on the air intake and its sensors. The throttle body, idle air control valve, and mass airflow will all impact the engine performance at idle speed. From there, you can do fuel tests if needed. They would start with a pressure test at the engine to see where the pump, filter, and pressure regulator are holding pressure at idle (test with engine both hot and cold). You can take corrective action from there. For more help with diagnostics or repairs, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.