Hi Dave, When turning the key to start the car, the star...

Q: Hi Dave, When turning the key to start the car, the starter sounds like it is spinning, but it makes a whining sound like it is n

asked by on September 28, 2017

When starting the car, the starter makes a whining sound like it is spinning, but it is not catching on the gears to turn the motor. Would that be the starter or something else?

I would first recommend to have the battery jump started first to see if problem is due to the battery being low on charge or cranking power. If jumping does not help then you most likely have a defective starter.