Q: Transmission problem - 1974 Mercedes Benz 280

Hi mercedes 280sel 1974 auto it runs really well for it age . prob lately when on a slight hill it wont reverse. the engines runs but if slight hill it wont reverse. if l rev it after little bit it reverses. but l want to know what wronge and is it very expensive to fix before l take to my merchanic. lm asap pl thxs

Hey there. Since you only seem to have the problem on a hill, then you may be very low on transmission fluid. When the car is put in reverse, it pumps fluid into a large servo to engage the reverse band.

If the fluid level is low, it could be that all it is pumping is foam so the servo is not filling fully and the band does not engage. Check the transmission fluid when the car is in idling and in park on a level surface and top it off if necessary.

If that doesn’t help, your transmission may just be in the early stages of failure. They usually lose reverse before they stop working altogether. A certified technician from YourMechanic can inspect the transmission issue at your car’s location to advise you on proper repairs.

3. Transmission problem - 1974 Mercedes Benz 280