Q: My Check Engine Light was on, so I tried the paperclip trick to get a code and the light went out. Tested the bulb and it works

asked by on October 30, 2016

Q- if I put the paperclip in the wrong to holes will it damage the ecm?

Since I cannot display an image on here, I will describe it best as possible. When looking at the diagnostic connector, is is basically a rectangle with flared tabs on one side. Consider that side of the bottom when viewing it. The "paperclip trick" would involve connecting the paperclip to the two top right connectors in order to get the check engine light to flash a fault code. If you are connected to the proper terminals and the light still does not flash, then there is possible communication error with the ECM or it was damaged from jumping the wrong terminals. If you cannot get the codes to flash, have a certified technician use a scanner to communicate with the ECM and diagnose the Check Engine Light so they can properly pinpoint and address the fault.