Q: Transmission leaking from the inside

The axle that attaches to the transmission seal is leaking. A mechanic told me that it is leaking from the inside the transmission and not from the axle.

A: Hi. The axle seal sits in the transmission ...

Hi. The axle seal sits in the transmission where the axle shaft slides in. I’m assuming that is what your mechanic is talking about, or the axle shaft sleeve. In either case, this is a fairly routine repair. First, the axle must be removed. Then, the seal is pried out and a new one is installed. A trained professional, such as one from YourMechanic, can replace the axle shaft seal to prevent your vehicle from leaking oil.