Q: Q: Transmission issue after a long drive

My car developed some shifting problems, when I drove it on the highway for a couple hundred miles on one occasion. It was hard to shift gears. However, after that day, there were no similar problems at all. I had the oil check, the dipstick, level and everything was looking good. The van has gone around 200,000 miles. I was wondering what I could do to prevent the transmission from going out. Should I change the fluid or get the transmission flushed? Do you have any suggestions?

Do not change the fluid or have it flushed. This could cause the transmission to go out even sooner. There are a load of different additives out there that may or may not work, but when the transmission is going bad, it is usually a seal or clutch that is going bad, at which point there isn’t that much that can be done besides overhauling the transmission. If you want to have this checked, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to inspect the transmission trouble and let you know what fixes should be done.

3. Q: Transmission issue after a long drive