Q: Transmission issue after a long drive

My car developed some shifting problems, when I drove it on the highway for a couple hundred miles on one occasion. It was hard to shift gears. However, after that day, there were no similar problems at all. I had the oil check, the dipstick, level and everything was looking good. The van has gone around 200,000 miles. I was wondering what I could do to prevent the transmission from going out. Should I change the fluid or get the transmission flushed? Do you have any suggestions?

A: Do not change the fluid or have it flushed....

Do not change the fluid or have it flushed. This could cause the transmission to go out even sooner. There are a load of different additives out there that may or may not work, but when the transmission is going bad, it is usually a seal or clutch that is going bad, at which point there isn't that much that can be done besides overhauling the transmission. If you want to have this checked, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car's location to inspect the transmission trouble and let you know what fixes should be done.