Q: Transmission goes to higher gear when take foot off gas

The transmission on my car will automatically go to a higher gear after accelerating normally. In other words, I’ll start driving and transmission functions fine. When I take foot off gas the gears rise and my rpms go low. The gear remains high until I come to a stop and resets at 1. Repeat.

Car is hard to shift Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

The PCM/TCM selects the gear based on vehicle speed and load. If you are noticing that the shift pattern is different than your earlier experience with the car, there might be a malfunction but otherwise you have to first see whether the actual shift points (MPH) are within that documented in the service manual. If they are, what you are describing could be normal, excepting if there is no sequential (3-2-1, for instance) downshifting at all until you are virtually stopped. No downshifting might signify a problem with a downshift shift solenoid. If you want a certified mechanic from YourMechanic to investigate and resolve this, the relevant service to request is a transmission shift diagnostic. If you request that service, the responding certified mechanic will get this taken care of for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr