Q: Not shifting and quit running - 2011 Honda CR-Z

My car has 60,500 miles on it, and I started having problems going it into 1st gear. When I slightly released the clutch a tiny bit and sometimes when I put it into 4th gear it wouldn’t go into gear. But I didn’t worry about it. And it made a grating sound, too. This happened a few times a week at the most, and it didn’t get any worse. When I was driving on the freeway yesterday my rpms were going up when I accelerated. I was in 6th gear and the shift indicator light came on, and told me to upshift. I pulled my car over to the shoulder of the freeway, opened the hood and smelled a burning smell. When I was just about home my car was barely running. I got there just in time. It wouldn’t even accelerate. The rpms just jumped. Do you have any ideas what I could do to get this working again? Could my clutch be completely burned out?

With your description of the problems, it sounds like your vehicle is having problems with the clutch slipping on the engine flywheel. 60,000 seems pretty early for this type of problem, but depends on the way the vehicle is driven. Have a professional inspect the hydraulic portion of the system as well as inspect the clutch assembly in order to diagnose the shifting problem.

3. Not shifting and quit running - 2011 Honda CR-Z