Q: Transmission fluid is leaking out. Indicative of what problem? Ford F150

Transmission fluid is leaking - about 1 quart every two weeks. Truck Ford F150. Runs great and never uses oil between changes. What could be the problem? Is the fix expensive?

The most common leaks are from one of the seals. The pan seal, rear tail shaft seal, or the front pump seal are typical. If you have an older pickup, then you may have a vacuum line to the back of the transmission that goes to a control valve and sometimes these valves leak and the engine will suck in transmission fluid into the vacuum line and into the engine.

One last leak you may have is the transmission cooler that is in the radiator or in front of the radiator is leaking. If you cannot isolate the leak, then I suggest you contact a mechanic like one from YourMechanic to come and diagnose where the leaking is coming from and determine exactly what needs to be repaired.

• Transmission fluid is leaking out. Indicative of what problem? Ford F150