Q: Transfer case or transmission

My transfer case was whining according to several mechanics. I heard a loud noise then metal marbles next while driving. I had it towed home and now am trying to figure out if the transfer case broke or did something happen to my transmission.

Hi there. If you’re hearing a whining noise from the transfer case area, odds are there is either physical damage inside the case or perhaps it is experiencing lubrication issues. In some instances, a damaged inner seal will cause excessive heat and create a sound like you are describing. It’s probably a good idea to have this officially diagnosed and repaired before it gets worse.

3. Transfer case or transmission