Q: Transmission shifts extremely hard from first to second gear.

Transmission shifts very very hard from first to second gear and I have noticed that my 4x4 doesn't engage like it should. Also hearing a whining sound coming from the front end while I'm driving.

Hi there. The transmission is shifting very hard from 1st gear to 2nd gear for the accumulator spring or piston is broken. The accumulator is designed to cushion the shift and allow the transmission to ease into the next gear. Without the cushion , the gears will slam together and jerk the vehicle around. This will effect the operation of your 4WD unit. For the wining noise in the front end, it sounds like there is either a wheel bearing going out or the differential is low on fluid and the gears are howling as they rub together without lubrication. Check the fluid in the frond differential and see if its full or low. I recommend seeking out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you with your transmission issue.

3. Transmission shifts extremely hard from first to second gear.