Q: Car only drives forward in reverse

When I put my car in reverse, it only goes forward. The same thing happens when you put it in neutral. When in reverse, the backup lights do come on.

A: Hi. Since the reverse lights turn on when y...

Hi. Since the reverse lights turn on when you shift into gear, that is a clear indication that the mechanical portion of the shift linkage is working. I believe the shift solenoid inside the transmission might be stuck open or closed depending on the way it’s configured. The shift solenoid will need to be replaced so that you are able to shift to the correct gear. I suggest having a certified mechanic from YourMechanic diagnose and repair your vehicle.