Q: TPS connector voltage

I've come a LONG ways with this car. Hopefully this will be my question. On my TPS connector I'm suppose to be getting 5 volts on my voltage signal wire, .9 to 1 volt on my signal wire and .30 ohms on my ground wire. My voltage wire is getting the proper 5 volts. My ground wire is getting the .30 ohms. But my signal wire that's suppose to put out .9 to 1 volt. But it is putting out 4.56 volts. That's about the same as my voltage wire. What would the problem be and what's causing this. HOPEFULLY it's not my computer on the car. Is this something that I need to trace the wire from the connector to the computer, or what. What would be all the steps I need to do to eliminate every possible problem. Thank u

A: Hi there. Assuming, you are testing the TPS...

Hi there. Assuming, you are testing the TPS (throttle position sensor) connector while disconnected, the described parameters could be considered normal. Some ECM (engine control module) signal voltages default to near 5vts, sensor open. If you are back-probing the connector while connected to the TPS, this would indicate an open TPS unless the throttle plate is wide open or the signal wire is shorted to the reference wire. Closed throttle, the signal wire voltage is typically between .5-1vt. Measuring the resistance value (ohms) of the TPS itself (disconnected) should be a fixed value between reference and ground, varying resistance between reference and signal, or signal and ground with throttle plate movement. Not knowing year, make, and model makes it difficult to be more specific. I recommend having your vehicle’s check engine light be diagnosed and repaired by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic.