Q: Will it damage my engine if I switch from synthetic blend to regular motor oil to do a oil change being I live in Florida?

I went in to do a oil change with Midas but they told me that my vehicle recommend a synthetic blend oil which is a $40 price difference but then he told me I can sign a waiver to use regular motor oil which is worrying me.I drive on interstate 95 to and from for for 1hr daily will this change damage my engines performance and by the way I live in Florida where it does not snow or ice.

It is not snow or ice that will damage an engine but heat and friction. This engine is turbo charged and the turbo bearings are lubricated by the engine oil. When you change the oil you should use only the recommended oil type and weight that the manufacturer recommends. A synthetic blend oil is is a mix of synthetic and regular oils. Your manufacturer recommends using full synthetic oils in extreme hot or cold conditions. It is also recommended that you use 5w30 in temperatures below 86 and 10w30 in temperatures above 86. I would not recommend using standard oil in this car due to the turbo. It will work better with full synthetic since it will have better heat properties for the turbo bearings. If you’d like to have your oil switch serviced, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians can come to your home or office to do so.

• Will it damage my engine if I switch from synthetic blend to regular motor oil to do a oil change being I live in Florida?