Q: My speedometer, rpm gauge and fuel gauge are not working; possible gear slipping and high rpm.

I recently had a used motor put in my vehicle about 6 months ago when there was an oil build up which is commin in this engine i guess, and a new starter about 6 weeks ago. I also recently found out the my battery is getting low and will need to replace soon. This morning forvthe first time my speedometer and rmp gauge was working. My speedometer would read 0 and sometimes jump around and twice for about a minute actually work. My rpm gaugevran unusally higher then usual(which i could also hear my engine working harder then usual. On my way home from work my fuel gauge started up to and was reading empty and sometimes bouncing around. The few times my gauges decided to work for a minute the rpm and engine sound went away as well. Occastionally i would get a very slight jerk when driving like gear were possibly slipping. I also noted a small jerking in the car when i switch to the drive gear or reverse gear. Would are the most likley problems this could be?

Hi there. For the electrical issues on the dash that are not working properly, I recommend that you have your battery check and loaded. The battery could have 12.6 volts, but if a cell is burnt or damaged, the battery will not hold a load causing issues with the electrical system to your vehicle. If the battery is low on charge and or fails the load test, then I recommend replacing the battery with a new one if it is more than a year old. Batteries in a vehicle usually last about 2 to 3 years without having any issues. If you need further assistance with your gauges not working properly, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

For the jerking feeling when shifting, check the transmission fluid and see if it’s full and red in color. If the fluids are low, top them off and check the condition of the shifting issue. Another possibility that can cause the transmission to jerk into gear is the transmission or engine mount could be loose or damaged. If the transmission is still having an issue with shifting, then I recommend seeking out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you with your transmission jerking in gear.

3. My speedometer, rpm gauge and fuel gauge are not working; possible gear slipping and high rpm.