Q: Toyota Camry 2009 stopped suddenly while driving wont start back up

asked by on May 28, 2017

The car stopped while driving it was jumped and made it back home turned it off tried to turn it back on and it wouldn't start checked under the hood and the electrical system seems to be working fine the lights turn on but when you turn the key there's no sound and it's just nothing engine light is on and the battery light is on and the brake light is on

Alternator Replacement $151.62 - $1237.14 Get a Quote

Hi There, It sounds like you may have a faulty electrical connection or potentially a weak or dead battery. The other possibility that may be quite likely could be a failing alternator as indicated by the fact that the car stopped randomly while driving. This suggests the charging system may not be working properly. I would suggest having the alternator checked to determine if it is receiving the proper amount of voltage from something called the voltage regulator. The voltage regulator regulates the charging voltage that the alternator produces, keeping it between 13.5 and 14.5 volts to protect the electrical components throughout the vehicle. The voltage regulator controls the field current applied to the spinning rotor inside the alternator. When there is no current applied to the field, there is no voltage produced from the alternator. When voltage drops below 13.5 volts, the regulator will apply current to the field and the alternator will start charging. When the voltage exceeds 14.5 volts, the regulator will stop supplying voltage to the field and the alternator will stop charging. This is how voltage output from the alternator is regulated. When the voltage regulator is not working properly, this may cause the alternator to allow the power the alternator supplies to drop resulting in the battery dying again. I would suggest having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr