Q: Gears not engaging

When I put the car in drive, the gears don't engage. The car doesn't move.

A transmission not engaging into gear can be the result of an electrical, hydraulic or mechanical problem. This is likely what you are experiencing with your Monte Carlo. Since there are many possible leads for this issue, I find it best to recommend enlisting the assistance of a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, to come by and diagnose this issue. They will have the experience and tools necessary to determine exactly what is preventing your Chevy Monte Carlo’s transmission from going into gear as well as assist you in making the repairs necessary to get your Chevy driving again.