Q: top of engine broken

What does it mean when you are told that the top of your engine is broken? Is this the same as saying a persons' motor mount is broken? I put my car in the shop to have the water pump and timing belt change, but now the mechanic is saying the top of the engine is broken.

Motor mounts are usually "below" the engine although there are sometimes engine compartment strut and torque mounts that can be visible from the top. The mechanic, though, is probably not referring to broken mounts. The "top end" of the engine is usually considered to be the cylinder heads and valve train. On top of the cylinder heads are valve covers and between that are the upper and lower intake manifolds. To understand what your mechanic is trying to tell you just ask him exactly which "component" or "specific part" is broken and then of course be sure that the mechanic shows you actual tangible evidence of something wrong. If the mechanic cannot do that, your interests would be best served by finding someone else to help you with diagnostics and repairs. In all events, if you just want to get an honest, credible, and complete diagnostic, feel free to request a vehicle inspection. If you request that service, the responding certified mechanic will inspect your vehicle, right at your location, and give you a low cost path to getting everything resolved and fixed. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. top of engine broken