Q: Too many vibrations when i’m driving on the road

My 2010 Nissan Rogue has begun to vibrate every time the vehicle is in motion. The vibrations change as I accelerate, so I assume it’s something in the drivetrain. The vibrations started after the transmission was serviced. This car has 116,000 miles on it, and I'd really like it to make it a bit further without having any major repairs done.

A: Since you’ve noticed there have been vibrat...

Since you’ve noticed there have been vibrations with the continuously variable transmission (CVT) since you got it serviced, were there any other services performed at that time such as new tire installation or wheel rotation/balancing? If the wheels were balanced, I would suspect that first. If not, the first step would be to ensure that the correct CVT fluid was used. If the CVT service was performed at a Nissan dealer, the proper fluid was used and the level should be correct. If the CVT service was done at an independent shop, it is important that the proper Nissan CVT fluid was used. The fluid is very specific for the CVT transmission, and other fluids can cause issues. If the wrong fluid was used, then it must be drained and refilled twice, per Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) NTB12-057. The process is to drain the incorrect fluid, fill with the proper Nissan CVT transmission fluid, run at idle, drain, and repeat. On the third refill, fluid is set to correct level and then the flush is complete. Nissan has extended the Nissan New Vehicle Limited Warranty for the (CVT) to 10 years/120,000 miles (whichever occurs first) for CVT repairs, replacement, and related towing on all 2003-2010 model year Nissans. If proper fluid was used, a trip to the dealer might be needed to have them diagnose the CVT transmission to see if it is covered under the extended warranty.