Q: Does the size difference matter when changing tires and rims?

I have a 2007 pontiac g6. The tires i currently have on it are 215/60r16. I got some winter tires from a friend and am wondering if they can b put on my car. The new tires are 225/60r16. They have rims on them already, so im wondering if i can put the new tires with rims on my car, Is the size difference going to matter?

Hi there. The rim size for you have included are good and the same. The numbers that are for a tire as displayed as the following:

The first number (ie: 215, 225) is the width of the tire tread The second number (ie: 60) is the side wall distance of the tire, the height of the tire The third number (ie: r16) is the radio construction and rim size of 16 inches

Your new rims and tires are good just a little wider, of about 1/2 inch. Just make sure that after installing the tires onto the vehicle that the tires will not hit the fender or frame. Other than that, the rims and tires will fit. If you need further assistance with your tire installation, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.