Q: Gas tank continually cuts off at the gas pump

Since I purchased this SUV, I have had problems at the gas station with it always cutting off at the pump, but I just kept shrugging it off. Then when I took it in for service I had them check the gas tank and they told me that the gas line filter and the ball that shows the gas level, both need to be replaced. I know this was there when I purchased it since I had trouble from the start. Before I have them do the replacements, can you tell me if it would be safe to keep driving my SUV until I can afford these replacements next month?

The fuel level sensor problem (prematurely worn contacts) is, unfortunately, a known and chronic problem with this model. Running out of gas in traffic is definitely a safety issue. I believe this repair is essential. A professional mechanic, like YourMechanic, can help with this repair.