Q: Ticking noise when at idle and louder while accelerating

When my car is at idle, it makes a ticking sound. It happens also when I am driving. During acceleration, it gets even more noisy. I've been told that the problem is in the valve lifters. I don't know much about vehicles in general, so I would like to be sure that is the issue, before I buy them. Thanks.

A: The noise may be the lifters, but the probl...

The noise may be the lifters, but the problem may not be the lifters. Your engine's heads have very small passages that feed oil to them through the heads, and, if the parts are being starved of oil, then the cams may be damaged.

I suggest removing one of the valve covers to check the oil flowing to the valve train and if it is bad, then you may have more major problems, like blocked oil galleys and passages in the engine.

You may have a timing chain issue also.

I would recommend having a qualified mechanic diagnose the problem, and recommend the needed engine repairs to fix the issue. Your engine may need to be overhauled if the noise is the bearings in the engine, so a diagnosis of the engine noise is the best thing to do first.