Q: Oxygen sensor all over the place with readings

asked by on November 19, 2017

My 2004 infiniti g35 sedan has been acting really weird I replaced he air fuel ratio sensor it says that was going bad on bank 1 sensor and bank 2 sensor 1 but now it's saying bank 1 sensor one is broken again my check engine light cones and goes sometimes it takes a while before I see it again but when I do see it it's a different code it's p1167 saying my rear oxygen sensor are going bad I have obd2 plugged in and bank1 sensor 1 voltage fluctuate like normal bank2 sensor 1 fluctuate as normal when go to look at my rear oxygen sensor voltage the don't move there stuck right at 280v even while driving there stuck on 280v I can start my car in the morning they still stay on 280v the front air fuel ratio is moving and fluctuateing but my rear won't move anymore did the rear oxygen sensor just go completely out and can that be a cause for it bouncing around with codes

Check Engine Light is on Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Oxygen sensors that are in-line after the catalytic converter (i.e., downstream sensors) should output a relatively steady voltage. The purpose of the downstream oxygen sensor is to monitor the efficiency of the converter rather than provide feedback to the the PCM regarding the air/fuel ratio. With regard to the code P1167, that code can set due to problems with the sensor or the wiring harness although a faulty sensor is the most common outcome. If you suspect out-of-range or erratic readings from these sensors, you can request a check engine light diagnostic and a certified mechanic from YourMechanic will resolve this right at your location. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr