Q: Ford fiesta in park but wont start and will only go in neutral

asked by on October 11, 2017

Even though my car is in park, the car is not reading that it is. Therefore, my car will not start. However, i can get my car to go in neutral. A few days before this happened i either forgot to put my car in park but had the emergency break on and it rolled down the driveway OR it was in park with the emergency break on and it was knocked out of park. Will i have to take this issue to the dealership? And about how much do you think ill be facing with maintenance and repairs.

Car is not shifting into park Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

There are a number of tings that may cause this, however some are more common than others. Your car has a switch that allows the computer to differentiate between being in park or neutral for purposes of starting the car or releasing the key from the ignition. Occasionally, this switch will fail causing the type of issue you are describing. As you know, this can create a dangerous situation and should be looked at as soon as possible. I would suggest having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to take a look at the vehicle.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr