Q: Ticking noise from engine after running with low oil from leaking oil pan.

asked by on April 01, 2016

Hello. I have a ticking noise at idle coming from the engine compartment. This happened after driving the car with low oil. I believe the car only ran with low oil for a few days perhaps a week (maybe 60 miles) The oil pan was leaking and has since been fixed. Oil level is fine now but car continues to make this clicking/ticking noise at idle. The noise seems to go away at higher revs. Any thoughts on what it could be? Thank you for the help.

Car is making a noise Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Depending on the ticking noise will depending on if it is a camshaft follower or a camshaft noise. If your engine was ran without oil you may have low oil pressure at idle and the engine can get noisy if the pressure drops. A mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, can come and listen to the noise and check the oil pressure to see if it is within specifications.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr