Q: The car will not move when you shift it into Drive. It works fine when you shift it into Reverse.

asked by on November 02, 2016

The car will not move when you shift it into Drive. It works fine when you shift it into Reverse. I was told that is a good sign and probably just very low on transmission fluid. Could that be true?

I am aware that it could be many things. Thank you in advance for your answer(s). Have a great day!

Hello there. Like you mentioned, many different faults will cause your 2001 BMW 330i to not move when it is put in drive. The most common faults are faulty shift linkage, shift cable broken, torque converter, low transmission fluid, or a failing transmission. If you would like to have this correctly repaired, I recommend having a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, diagnose the shift problem so that this can be corrected.