Q: Whirring Noise now WONT start HELP!

asked by on February 25, 2018

My car was making a humming whirring noise that got progressively worse. A mechanic without suggesting what he thought it was told me for 75 he could diagnose the problem. I didn’t have the money and the car technically isn’t mine and my ex told me he would take care of it. So I kept driving it and it got worse. As luck (bad) would have it yesterday while driving I noticed the sound was louder and it almost sounded like the engine wanted to cut out. When I returned to the car with a cart full of groceries, you guessed it, won’t start. It’s not the battery. The car makes a click click sound when I attempted to start it but won’t turn over. One mechanic wanna be said it sounded like fuel pump but other than the whirring noise I haven’t noticed other symptoms. No leaky gas, still decent gas mileage Any ideas?

From your description, it sounds like the starter motor is not functioning. In attempting to start the engine, if you do not hear the engine turning over, that is there is no starter motor function at all, the starting circuit will have to be diagnosed. The starter motor, which is in the starting circuit of course, could simply be faulty but of course other causes could be relevant. As far as the noise that was occurring when the vehicle was running, the noise is consistent with fuel pump failure. It is easy to test the fuel pump while installed on the vehicle, whether the engine is running or not. In your circumstance, although you might have two issues (the present no start and possibly a faulty fuel pump but, if not that some other issue inasmuch as you have the noise), if you just request a no start diagnostic, the mechanic will deal with the entire circumstance, right at your location, and the mechanic will advise you of all required repairs to get the car running properly. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.