Q: Ticking in Engine

asked by on September 28, 2016

I bought the car from a private owner with a trans issue already, trans slips in 2nd, I know one is not supposed to drive the car much during that time, but I needed something to get from point A to B and figured I would save up from work and replace the trans one day. I was driving and the car stalled on me while I was going about 50 mph, it smoothly relaxed and the wheel locked up so I sat at a light for a good 10 mins and it started right up again and I drove it home. Now 3 days after that, I was driving again, and this time it started making a knocking sound from the engine, I understand that could be a rod about to throw, so I stopped driving it immediately, now the car was cutting on after the knocking sound started, but itll cut off when I turn the wheel, also the oil is low. The car wont even cut on now, so I am wondering if I should go ahead and replace the engine as a whole as I have one priced, or can it be something else much cheaper than that such as the trans?

There are a number of issues at play here. The transmission definitely needs to be looked at if it is slipping in any gear or when locking up as you describe.

The knocking sound may also be a possibility of many things ranging from worn rod or main bearings and even camshaft bearings. This is especially possible if the engine has been low on oil for a long period of time.

Due to the wide range of possible problems I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your home to inspect the car and diagnose the sound firsthand.