Q: Ths car stalls sporadically when the engine warms up - 2000 Toyota Echo

asked by on September 17, 2016

I purchased a previously owned car that has been running great, but lately has been stalling sporadically. This happens for a brief time only. There would first be a click and red light on the dash would illuminate and the car would shut off for several seconds. After that, the car runs fine and there are no issues whatsoever. This stalling happens when the engine warms up. I had the thermostat replaced but nothing changed. The issue happens sporadically and not that frequently. What is causing this?

Battery Light is on Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote
Car is stalling Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

I wish you had told me which red light illuminates. I am going to take a shot at it and guess its the battery light. You may have an alternator related problem. It could be a loose belt, the alternator belt could be worn out and it need to be changed, the alternator itself. I had a car with the belt missing completely, but it had overheating as an accompanying symptom so you probably aren’t missing the belt completely. Check to make sure the belt isn’t excessively loose. Check your battery terminals for excessive corrosion. If I was wrong guessing it is the battery light, it could be any number of idle issues. If you would like, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to help you resolve this stalling issue.